Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Moving From a Crib to a Bed

Tonight is the first night we've decided to transition our two year old from a crib to a bed.  His little sibling is expected to arrive in about 11 weeks and we need the crib for the new baby.  I have been reading up about this topic and hope the things I have read about will work.  I have read that most babies are ready for the "transition" between 2 and 3 years old.  They also say it is better to do the transition at least 4-8 weeks before the new baby arrives.  This is to ensure the toddler doesn't think the baby is "taking" their crib.  My toddler has figured out how to climb out of the crib even when the mattress is at its lowest point which they say is also a good time to consider switching to a bed.  We placed his bed on the floor (without a box spring mattress under it) with one side against the wall and the other with a bed rail.  We placed the bed in the same location as his crib in the room.

We are using his dad's old childhood bed.  We have told him that this was "a big boy bed" and he seemed excited about it.  He's also slept in a bed before when we were on vacation but that was a couple of months ago.  He did well at that time but he could have just been exhausted from our travels.  I am hoping that with our frequent trips, he has become accustomed to sleeping in different surroundings.  We put all of his blankets on the crib (he sleeps with 5 specific blankets) in the hopes it makes the transition easier.  He looks tiny on the twin mattress and hope he doesn't move around too much overnight.  I also gave him a pillow for the first time which he seems to really like.

He's also been sleeping through the night so I hope that continues with the transition.  Tonight, he fell asleep relatively easily.  I had to sit next to his bed until he fell asleep and kept checking to make sure I was there.  I don't want to make that a habit so any suggestions you have to make the transition easier would be greatly appreciated!  I am hoping he stays asleep through the night and we are not awakened by a toddler in our bedroom.  Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment