Monday, August 13, 2012

3D Model of Your Fetus?

I just came across an interesting article which talks about a company that can print a 3D model of your fetus and womb using MRI imaging to create the model.  Is anyone else just a little creeped out by this?  I thought getting a 3D or 4D ultrasound was a bit much for myself but getting an actual model takes this to a whole other level.  In the video segment below, they can even make mini models for you to hang from your cellphone!  What do you even do with such a thing?  Do you show it off at family gatherings?

I think ultrasounds have been a wonderful advancement in modern technology.  It can help diagnose diseases before a baby is born and it can help practitioners monitor the health of a developing fetus.  I enjoyed seeing my twice weekly ultrasounds during my non-stress tests but they were to determine if my gestational diabetes was harming my baby.  However, is this taking things a little too far?  This is not a "medically necessary procedure."  What about the long term effects of MRI exposure on a developing fetus?  Has that even been studied?  Also, in the video, they mention CT scans.  Do they use CT scans as well to get the image?  What about the radiation exposure from CT scans?  How is that not harmful to both the mother and fetus?

Would you get a 3D model of your womb and fetus?  If so, what would you do with it?



No comments:

Post a Comment