Sunday, August 5, 2012

One Week Later... An Update...

Well, we "survived" our first week of being a family of four.  This first week was not as dramatic as his entrance into the world, but I say "survive" because as any new parent will tell you, the first week after delivery can be quite an adventure.  We (including the dog) are all adjusting to the new baby.

The baby is doing well.  He was 7 pounds 1.6 ounces at birth and reached his lowest weight the following day at 6 pounds 9.6 ounces.  At his follow-up appointment on Wednesday, he was back up to 6 pounds 12.7 ounces.  He is nursing every 2 hours round the clock.  It is tiring but worth it seeing him grow.  This is quite the contrast to his older brother that had latch problems.  I am liberally using the lanolin but the pain and sores that accompanied nursing the first time did not happen this time around.  I just weaned my older baby in March and I think that I never stopped lactating.  My milk came in right away and the baby has been eating like a champ.

The baby also did not get any jaundice which may have been a possible concern since I did delay the clamping of the umbilical cord.   Part of it may also be due to my milk coming in so quickly.  It is nice knowing that my decision to delay the clamping did not result in any negative effects for the baby.  He had his first non-meconium bowel movement at the doctor's office on Wednesday and his umbilical stump fell off on Saturday.

Recovery for myself has been a little easier this time around.  I didn't have to push for 2.5 hours like the last time so I haven't had any swelling.  I only took 600mg of ibuprofen for pain relief and that was 14 hours after delivery!  I also managed to escape the entire hospital stay without an IV.  The biggest thing for myself has been trying to get enough rest and making sure I eat and drink enough.  Since I'm up every 2 hours to nurse, I have become somewhat of a night owl.  I try to sleep when baby sleeps which means I am sleeping a lot during the day.  I am also hungry all the time.  I made my first batch of lactation cookies yesterday and after the gestational diabetes, being able to eat cookies again is a welcome treat.  My blood sugar and blood pressure have both returned to normal after I had the baby.

I have also been religiously binding my belly hoping I can fit into my non-maternity clothes sooner rather than later. I did it the first time around and thought it yielded good results.  I started "binding" myself at the hospital.  I requested a support band that they typically give to mothers who have had a c-section.  I did not have a c-section so I was happy they gave me one after I asked for it.  I am also using the "belly bandit" that I bought with my first baby.

My older son is slowly coming around to the new baby.  At the hospital, he didn't want anything to do with me or the baby.  He even lost the toy that his new baby brother bought for him.  Thanks to my in-laws who replaced the toy, a crisis was averted.  In the last few days, he's become very helpful around the baby.  He's tried to tell the baby "it's OK" when he's crying in the car and even tonight tried to help give him a bath.  He's also tried to read him a book and show him pictures of family members.  He's a sweet kid and I hope this is a sign that he will be a good big brother.

The dog at first was really anxious about the new baby.  We have the baby's crib in our room since we think it would be cruel to have him share a room with his older brother at this age.  The dog has been sleeping in our room.  The first time she heard the baby crying in the crib, she freaked out and wouldn't stop barking.  We thought we might have to figure out alternate sleeping arrangements for the dog.  Luckily, she has also adjusted to this new addition and no longer barks or whines when she hears crying.

My husband has been wonderful.  He's doing the laundry and cleaning around the house.  He is off for another a week so the real test will be when he goes back to work.  In the meantime, he's been getting the toddler ready in the morning (making breakfast, changing his clothes, etc) and letting me sleep in which is nice since I'm up most of the night feeding or changing the baby.

We're slowly getting into a routine with our family.  Thank you to all who have passed on their well wishes.  I am very thankful to have a beautiful family and great friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment