There are many celebrations around the world and country commemorating this week. The La Leche League of the United States has information on their website regarding events in the United States. One of the big events scheduled this year is the "Big Latch On." There are a number of sites around the country that will have women breastfeeding their babies at the same time (10:30AM) on either Friday, August 3 or Saturday, August 4, 2012. You can check the following website to determine if there is a site near you participating in the "Big Latch On."
The Big Latch On is hoping to:
- "Support for communities to identify and grow opportunities to provide ongoing breastfeeding support and promotion.
- Raise awareness of breastfeeding support and knowledge available in communities.
- Help communities positively support breastfeeding in public places.
- Make breastfeeding a normal part of the day-to-day life at a local community level.
- Increase support for women who breastfeed - women are supported by their partners, family and the breastfeeding knowledge that is embedded in their communities.
- Communities have the resources to advocate for coordinated appropriate and accessible breastfeeding support services."
As you all probably know, I am a big proponent of breastfeeding. Unfortunately, this year, my baby is a little too young to go out in public. I may not be able to be "officially" counted at an event but I am going to be latching my baby at 10:30 on Friday and Saturday in support of all of the mother's participating in the "Big Latch On." Is anyone going to join me?