11. Pregnancy Lasts Nine Months
- Most doctors consider pregnancy to be 40 weeks long. However, the beginning of the pregnancy is measured on the first day of a woman's last menstrual cycle. The first two weeks of a woman's pregnancy actually takes place BEFORE conception.
10. When you have sex determines the gender of the baby.
- Wrong... Anyone have any luck with the Chinese Gender Predictor Calendar?
9. You can predict the gender of your baby without technology.
- Has following an old wives tale (i.e. baking soda gender test, purple cabbage gender test, wedding ring gender prediction test, etc) actually foretold the gender of your baby?
8. Twins skip a generation
- Fraternal twins do run in families. However, the genes responsible for that are passed down like any other gene and do not "skip" generations.
- Identical twins happen randomly.
7. Breastfeeding makes your breasts sag.
- Multiple pregnancies, smoking and being older contribute to sagging breasts.
6. The mom-to-be is the only one going through hormonal changes.
- An expectant father's testosterone level may go down and his prolactin level may go up.
5. Your body shape will never be the same again.
- How do you explain someone like Olympian Dara Torres or Supermodel Heidi Klum (who had four children)?
4. Pregnancy makes your feet grow.
3. Drinking any alcohol during pregnancy will hurt the baby.
- Five Danish studies found that "low and moderate weekly alcohol consumption in early pregnancy is not associated with adverse neuropsychological effects in children."
2. "Morning" sickness only happens in the morning.
1. "Pregnancy brain" makes it impossible to concentrate.