Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Expiration Dates Part II

This is a follow-up post to one I wrote two months ago about expiration dates.  Since my initial post, my cousin recommended I check out a cool website called, "http://www.stilltasty.com/"  This website offers great tips on food items and if it you can "keep it or toss it" based upon the length of time a product has been opened and kept under refrigeration or at room temperature.  You can search everything from mayonnaise to mustard to determine if that jar hiding at the back of the refrigerator is still safe to consume.

I also found two other articles which supported my notion that expiration dates are not hard and fast for most products.  In many cases, "some of those dates are more like suggestions than mandates" and that most times, while food labeling is confusing, most of the dates have "nothing to do with food safety."

The only time that I would religiously follow a products' expiration date would be for infant formula and medications.  For the most part, other than those instances, I would be more likely to use a product past a date listed.


No comments:

Post a Comment